Clafoutis is a beautiful, rustic French dessert which is easy to make. It is a sort of mixture between a pudding and a cake. Light and refreshing and tastes delicious, clafoutis is traditionally cooked with cherries. Strawberries also taste very good with it. The berries will bubble and dye the batter a gorgeous, bright pink. We guarantee that children love clafoutis! This recipe is both gluten-free and dairy-free (made with coconut milk).
1/3 cup (70 grams) natural cane sugar
1 cup (225 ml) coconut milk
1 vanilla bean, split and seeded
1/4 cup (35 grams) superfine brown rice flour
4 Tbs (40 grams) almond flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 punnets strawberries
1. In a bowl whisk together the sugar and eggs.
2. Add the coconut milk, vanilla seeds, brown rice flour, almond flour, salt and cinnamon.
3. Place the strawberries into the dish (or small dishes). We cooked our clafoutis in four wide-mouthed mason jars and this was wonderful.
4. Pour the batter over the top of the strawberries.
5. Sprinkle sugar and almond flour on top for a lovely crunch.
6. Bake them at 180C/375F for 20 – 30 minutes, depending on the size of the dish.
7. The clafoutis will set in the middle. Do not overcook it as it tastes better if it is like custard on the inside.