This post is the first in our Halloween Tutorials Series. We will be posting more Halloween tutorials for the next four weeks, to make costumes, decorations and food. These tutorials are also useful for dress-up parties through the year. These angel wings also make lovely wall decorations when not being used as costumes.
These angel wings are lovely and otherwordly. They are made from paper. Their lightness makes them easy to attach to clothes to wear to a fancy dress party.
1 sheet white card
2 sheets silver tissue paper
Craft/ PVA Glue
Wire cutters (or strong scissors)
1. Draw outline of wings onto the card and cut out. We drew these freehand but you can easily Google ‘angel wings’, print them out and enlarge on a photocopier.
2. Using your cut out wings as a template, cut out two more sets of wings from the silver tissue paper.
3. Draw the veins onto one side of the wings with a pencil. Make the lines curved and sweeping downwards. At the bottom the veins can be sweeping outwards.
4. Turn the paper over and apply glue to it this side. Carefully stick the tissue paper to this side. This will become the underside of the wings
5. Turn your wings over to the side with the veins. Paint glue onto each of the veins.
6. Wait a few minutes until the glue has become tacky. Bend and cut the floristry wire to the same size and shape as the veins and stick them onto the glue.
7. Wait for the veins to stick down properly onto the wings. Apply glue to the whole side of the card and stick down the silver tissue onto it.
8, Paint glue onto the wings and sprinkle the silver and gold glitter onto the wings. We painted glue into the middle, coming outwards and up the veins of the wings.
8. Score the middle of the wings.
9. Bend the wings so that they sit facing outwards. The florist wire allows you to sculpt the paper.
10. Attach the angel wings to your clothes. This can be done in a number of ways. You can use safety pins. We used Velcro. We lightly tacked Velcro onto the back of the dress and then stuck Velcro onto the middle part of the wings. This holds perfectly because the wings are so light and breezy.