At OHC we love homemade pasta. Today’s pasta is a great one because it doesn’t require a pasta maker and it is one of the easiest to make. Pasta is really easy to make and tastes delicious when made from scratch. Homemade pasta can either be thrown into a boiling saucepan of water, and cooked straight away, or it can be folded and stored in shoebox, with baking paper neatly wrapped between each layer.
Making pasta is a great way to include the whole family in the kitchen and provides an entry point for introducing children to the joys of cooking whole foods, made from delicious fresh ingredients. This recipe was not gluten-free but we will follow in the future with more gluten-free pasta recipes.
300g Tipo ’00′ flour
3 large free-range eggs
1. Measure out the flour and pour it into a mound on the table. Use a closed fist to make a well in the centre of the flour.
2. Crack open the three eggs into the centre of the flour well.
3. Starting from the outside of the flour, begin to push it towards the centre, mixing it with the eggs. Work your way around the outside of flour, doing this.
4. Once the flour and egg are mixed into a ball, begin to knead the dough ball. To knead, hold your hands together and push your palms into the dough. The dough ball will turn as you go. Knead the dough until it begins to feel smooth and silky, no longer rough and floury.
5. Divide the dough into four balls. Put flour onto the table and using a rolling pin or your pasta maker, roll the pasta into four long pieces.
6. Take a length of pasta and starting from one end, dust it in a little extra flour, then roll it. Do this to all four rolls.
7. Using a sharp knife chop the pasta rolls into small slices.
8. To cook your pasta, place it in boiling water with a pinch of salt. Fresh pasta will only take a few minutes to cook.
This pasta was served with tomato and bacon. This will take a few minutes to cook up. Take about three tomatoes, cut them in half, seed them and then dice them. Finely chop half an onion. Cut the fat from three rashers of bacon and dice them. Fry these three ingredients together in a frying pan with oil for a few minutes until they have mixed and are softened and fragrant.
Toss the tomato and bacon into the pasta and serve this dish with fresh basil.
Enjoy! and if you like this, pin it.